School of Business, Law and Entrepreneurship
Assessment Task 2
[Business Process Management]
Semester 2 2023
Assessment Type Assignment 2 Process Automation and improvement content review and case analysis
Associated Unit Learning
Outcomes (ULO’s) ULO 2 & 3
Group or Individual task Individual
Value (%) 25 %
Tasks 1) Content Review and Reflection: Review business process automation, both task automation (RPA) and BPMS, and discuss what you learned in the unit and how the knowledge can help your career.
2) Case analysis: automation by using RPA and BPMS
Submission details/form report
Due Date Week 11: due Friday 20th October @ 9:00am AEDST
Assessment 2 Requirements
Students should conduct further research for additional information required to complete the assignment.
Assignment 2 includes 3 parts: the first part involves business process automation content review, the second part involves task automation suggestions and discussion on the Maroondah Hospital General Medical Process(es), and the third part involves automation by using BPMS based on the same case. There is no sequence for Assignment 2 (individual) and Assignment 3 (group), so you can start working on Assignment 2 at the same time as Assignment 3 with group members. Please be aware that assignment 2 will be due on week 11, and assignment 3
will be due on week 12. Assignment 2 requires you to use TO-BE models, so you should work with your group members on assignment 3 and develop a set of TO-BE models before week
10. So, you can use the set of TO-BE models to do assignment 2 parts 2 & 3. It is essential that you start group work earlier.
Part 1 Content Review
1. Automation review (RPA and BPMS) (no more than 600 words). Your review and discussion should focus on the following points (you should have at least 5 to 6 of the most recent Journal papers to support your discussion).
1) Process automation’s general benefits, drawbacks, risks, and opportunities.
2) A brief discussion about BPMS, how BPMS is important for the digital workplace and its benefit to businesses.
3) A brief discussion about RPA, how RPA is important for a digital workplace and its benefit to business process management.
2. A summary of:
How the knowledge learned in this unit will help you in your future career (200 to 300 words)?
Part 2 Case Analysis – Automate the Maroondah Hospital General Medical
In this part, you should provide your point of view on adopting RPA in the Maroondah Hospital General Medical Process(es) (you should consider the general points you discussed in the content review section). You do not need to draw any models in this part, but you should review your TO-BE models, suggest tasks that can be automated and explain the following:
1) Which process problems can be solved by automating your selected tasks by using RPA?
2) What are some of the key benefits of doing so?
3) What are some challenges to automating these tasks using RPA?
4) How important is Maroondah Hospital General Medical Centre considering process automation using RPA in short- or long-term business process improvement practices?
*Please note that you can use a table to summarize the information.
Part 3 Case Analysis – Automate the Maroondah Hospital General Medical
Process(es) by using BPMS
This part requires you to continue working on the same business case. As mentioned in the case description, the current process does not work efficiently. With your help, the company has made the first step, which adopt some best practices to fix some issues and problems. They adopted methodologies, such as Lean, to reduce waste and improve the process to address the issues for the long term and reduce manual tasks as much as possible by using RPA technologies. The management is considering improving the process further by using BPMS to use BPMS control the processes. Again, you do not need to draw any models in this part, but you should review your TO-BE models and suggest how the business can automate processes by using BPMS.
1) If automation by using BPMS is one of the solutions for the current processes’ problems/issues, why or why not?
2) How important is considering process automation by using BPMS in long-term business process improvement practices for the Maroondah Hospital General Medical Centre?
3) What are some of the limitations and challenges of transforming processes (humancontrolled processes) to BPMS-controlled processes?
4) The automation implementation plan (brief) for the Maroondah Hospital General Medical.
Just submit a single MSWord. Archives with multiple files or subfolders will not be accepted.
• A word-processed report of around 1500 or +10% words which includes:
o The cover sheet which includes your name and student number (not included in the word count)
o Executive Summary (not included in the word count) o Table of Contents (not included in the word count) o Introduction (no introduction required for this assignment)
o The main body, which includes the 3 parts, you can provide suitable headings
(please check task requirements for this assignment) o Conclusion (the summary of the report)
o References (not included in the word count, you must use references when reviewing and discussing contents)
You MUST use the Harvard Referencing style throughout your report and include an accurate list of references at the end of the report. You can access the correct style from the library: Harvard System
(http://www.swin.edu.au/lib/guides/harvard_system.pdf ) o Appendices (not included in the word count, add tables or additional information you wish to include).
• Pages of the report should have appropriate headers and footers and should include printed page numbers and the number of pages in the document (i.e. page number/total number of pages)
• Size 12 and 1.5 line space
Late assignments may result in a lower grade regarding the University’s Extensions and Late Penalties policies. Please refer to the unit guide for further details
Any request for an extension must be directed to the convenor via email before the assignment due date. You must include appropriate supporting documentation(s) such as a doctor’s certificate or others relevant to support your situation. Please note that a doctor’s certificate must provide a doctor’s review, not just the statement of ‘the student came to see me and indicate that he/she was sick on …..’, this statement will not be considered. These documents MUST be scanned and emailed to the convener.
Please note that any work-related extension requests will not be considered. You should work on the assignment by following the schedule suggested. Starting early and better managing your time is essential.
Content review marking criteria:
• Demonstrates high-quality knowledge of most aspects of academic writing. Exudes fluency, conciseness and the ability to formulate ideas and concepts in an organised manner.
• Excellent use of academic references, high-quality references support discussion. The references are well formatted in text and reference list, following the Harvard referencing system. All references are relevant, with a good balance of old and most recent.
• Demonstrates a good knowledge of most aspects of academic writing. Exudes fluency, conciseness and the ability to formulate ideas and concepts in an organised manner.
• Reasonable use of academic references, reasonable of references support discussion. The references are well formatted both in text and reference list which followed Harvard referencing system. All references are relevant, good balance of old and most recent.
• Generally, has acquired the traits of academic writing, however needs to be able to translate ideas and concepts into more formal language.
• Reasonable quality academic references included and support the discussion and arguments. Followed Harvard referencing system, minor errors but overall a good effort.
• Have acquired a basic idea but many areas need to be improved, such as in the area of conciseness, grammar, spelling, use of academic words, subjective opinions, use of references to support arguments.
• Limited quality reference sources used but either the references are too old or lack quality. References used and basically followed Harvard referencing system requirements.
• Didn’t demonstrate the basic understanding of academic writing requirements.
• Low quality of references source, majority references are web sources. Didn’t follow Harvard referencing system requirements.
Student Study Support Services
You should talk to your Unit Convenor or instructor for information on academic support services available for Swinburne students.
School of Business, Law and Entrepreneurship