Insanity defense case study
After reading Appelbaum (2013), Maidman (2016), and watching the video, write a 3- to 4-page paper in which you explain the basics of the insanity defense and argue for or against (you pick one side) the insanity defense as a Constitutional right. Examples from cases that you have found through your own research will help to support your arguments and to build a better paper.
Examples of Areas to Consider:
· Did the assailant have a life-long history of mental health problems?
· Is there such a thing as temporary insanity?
· Are psychiatric diagnoses foolproof, or are diagnoses often made up?
· Can a pre-planned murder be carried out by an insane person?
· Stay focused and answer the assignment questions directly.
· Use reliable and credible sources as your references. Articles published in professional journals/magazines are preferred. If you use the internet to find articles, make sure the sources are credible. No Wikipedia, encyclopedias, or other questionable sources.
· Reference your sources of information with both a bibliography and in-text citations.
· Helpful Resources:
· Student Guide to Writing a High-Quality Academic Paper, including pages 13-14 on in-text citations.
· “Writing Style Guide”, which is found under “My Resources” in the TLC portal.
· Purdue Online Writing Lab https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/02/
· *Download a free grammar tool: It will scan your paper for errors as you write. See it in use at: Download it from: www.grammarly.com
*Disclaimer: Trident has no relationship or interest in Grammarly.com; this step is optional on your part.